The Cows Come Home to Burlington is a mix of community, art, and business. It is a 24/7, non-weather dependent event continuing through September 2010. The purpose of Cows Come Home is to increase tourism in the Burlington area and generate revenue for area businesses, while implementing street art in a way that will benefit businesses and give recognition to local artists through creating a “walking tour” type exhibit.
[gallery include="135, 134, 133, 132, 125" link="file"]
How It Works:
Fiberglass cows arrived as “blank canvases.” They were sent to local artists to be decorated. Upon returning, they are displayed prominently in the Burlington downtown and regionally. At the end of the season, the cows are put up for auction, partial proceeds benefiting the Vermont Campaign to End Childhood Hunger.
- May 10, 2010 - Cows go on display in downtown Burlington, coinciding with graduation ceremonies, Mother’s Day. Potential regional areas for display include entry points into Chittenden County: BTV, interstate rest areas (Guilford, Williston, Georgia, Alburgh), downtown businesses, ferries
- October 11, 2010 - Display period concludes; Cows are listed online for auction
- Auction: October-November 2010
By participating in The Cows Come Home, you will be supporting a worthy cause—partial proceeds from The Cows Come Home will benefit the Vermont Campaign to End Childhood Hunger. The Vermont Campaign to End Childhood Hunger is a statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to hunger prevention through expanding access to nutrition programs that nourish Vermont’s children and families through education and advocacy.
A few of The Campaign’s programs: (Proceeds will be targeted towards Chittenden County initiatives.)
- School Meals Expansion Program: expanding a reliable source of nutrition for school children by expanding school breakfast and lunch programs.
- Out-of-School Time Nutrition Program: helps community groups provide nutritious meals to low-income children during out-of-school time.
- Cooking for Life Program: teaching low-income families how to make healthy food choices by preparing meals.
- 3SquaresVT: Improving access and participation in VT’s food stamp program.