Be a Welcome Guest
12/05/2010 11:21AM ● Published by Anonymous
When you’re headed to a family gathering or party this holiday season, pick up a small gift to show your appreciation for all of your host’s effort and hard work.
By Kristy Erickson
1. Potted herbs. For the hostess who loves to cook, offer a small pot of rosemary, thyme, or oregano that can be kept in the kitchen and enjoyed throughout the winter.
2. Gift baskets. There are plenty of thoughtful ideas that won’t break the bank: Pancake mix with some local syrup, freshly baked bread with pasta and sauce, or a beautiful mug with hot cocoa mix.
3. Chocolate. Everyone loves chocolate! Choose locally made chocolates or candies to make them extra special.
4. Homemade goodies. Present them in a beautiful piece of pottery or cookware. Bake pumpkin bread in a pretty loaf pan or give cookies in a handmade bowl or platter.
5. Mixes in a jar. A simple jar will show off dry layers of brownie mix or chocolate chip cookies. Write the recipe on a small card, tie it to the cover with a ribbon, and include a bamboo spoon.
6. Candles. A set of high-quality votives will help make any home festive for the holidays. Or a pair of tapers, tied with a ribbon, can be enjoyed at the dinner table. Look for varieties made right here in Vermont.