Clever Storage Ideas for Small Spaces
10/09/2014 08:10PM ● Published by Family Features
No matter how cramped and cluttered your living space, there is always a spot or two for extra storage. Finding it is just a matter of getting creative and utilizing a few clever solutions.
Here are simple ideas to get you started:
- Metal rods with hanging hooks can create loads of unused storage space on your blank walls. Use them to hang coffee cups, cooking utensils, dish towels or pots and pans.
- Magnetic strips mounted on the wall are a great way to hang knives.
- If your countertop is cluttered with small spice containers and oil bottles, elevate them with a decorative cake stand. Place small jars below and top with pretty decanters and additional spices.
- Are you using up prime cabinet space for items you only use once a year, such as holiday cake pans or that big serving bowl you pull out for parties? Store them in an attic or closet.
- Why only hang one towel bar on the back of the bathroom door? Hang three to maximize your drying space.
- Most modern cabinetry has adjustable shelving. If you haven't customized the heights of your shelving, give it a try.
- A three-tiered fruit basket might seem perfect for the kitchen, but it's also a handy way to store bathroom essentials right beside the sink.
- Flour and sugar canisters can also be repurposed in the bathroom to keep makeup, toilets, cleaning supplies and soaps contained. Make sure to buy bins that stack easily.
- Nix those nightstands and hang small shelves on either side of the bed. This cuts down on the clutter you can keep and makes cleaning underneath a breeze.
- Rolling bins that fit under the bed are perfect for storing linens, out-of-season clothing and children's toys. They're also the perfect way to slide building block projects out of sight without destroying your child's latest masterpiece.
- Closets with a single hanging rod are one of the biggest space-wasters in the bedroom. Double their storage capacity by hanging a second rod or shelf below shorter jackets and shirts.