Savor Pumpkin Pie Spice All Season Long
10/28/2014 08:00PM ● Published by Ryan Frisch
Fall has arrived, and with it comes the king of all seasonal flavors – pumpkin pie spice.
A versatile blend of comforting ingredients like nutmeg and cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice can flavor a lot more than Thanksgiving pie. Add it to a savory pasta dish, like Fettuccine Pumpkin Alfredo.
“It’s the perfect dish for a chilly night,” said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. “Pumpkin pie spice and chipotle chili pepper add a smoky warm taste to the alfredo sauce, which is easily made from canned pumpkin and milk. Bacon is the perfect crispy topping.”Try these other ideas for using pumpkin spice in everyday favorites:
- Stir into cream cheese for an autumn-flavored bagel spread.
- Sprinkle on coffee grinds for an at-home fall-inspired coffee.
- Mix with nuts and roast for a great party nibble or snack.
- Blend with canned pumpkin and coconut milk for a delicious smoothie.
Fettuccine Pumpkin Alfredo
- 1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, mix milk, pumpkin, Parmesan cheese, flour, pumpkin pie spice, chipotle chili pepper and salt in medium bowl until well blended. Set aside. Cook bacon in large skillet on medium-high heat until slightly crisp. Remove bacon. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or softened. Stir in pumpkin mixture. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Place pasta in serving bowl. Add pumpkin sauce; toss to coat well. Top with crisp bacon.