Local Motion & Scenic Bike Trails Around Burlington [Gallery Extra]
03/18/2015 11:27AM, Published by Ryan Frisch, Categories: Online Extras
Photo by Chet Huang
Gallery: Scenic Bike Trails [14 Images] Click any image to expand.
Local Motion Trailside Center
According to the group’s website, Local Motion is a member-supported nonprofit organization promoting people-powered transportation and recreation for healthy and sustainable Vermont communities.
The organization takes credit for improving personal health and the local economy by developing regional trails, promoting walkable communities, and fostering active lifestyles.
Community leaders founded the organization in 1999 to develop the Winooski River Bike Ferry and the 10-mile historic Cycle the City tour. With two early successes, the organization broadened its sights on making the Greater Burlington area a better place to walk, bike, run and ski. The organization has flourished and today works to:
- Help residents and towns build more sidewalks, trails, and safe streets
- Host events like Intervale XC Skiing and Great Ice to keep people active all year long
- Run a community bicycle shop Bike Recycle Vermont in Burlington's Old North End
- Operate the Causeway Bike Ferry and are close to dramatically expanding service
- Operate a Trailside Center on the Burlington waterfront providing maps, rentals and advocacy information
- Improve the civility and safety on Vermont’s roadways through the Safe Streets Collaborative
- Manage the Trail Finder, a free online mapping resource for all area trails.
Local Motion has 1,000+ member households, a 15-member Board of Directors, 400 annual volunteers, and a long wish list of projects still to tackle.
For more information, visit their website at www.localmotion.org and check out the gallery above for scenic bike trails around Burlington.