Making Sweet Memories One Scoop at a Time
09/21/2015 05:18AM ● Published by Family Features
Crowding around a table eating ice cream is one of the tastiest ways to enjoy family time. Parent, chef and cookbook author Antonia Lofaso knows this very well and has created delectable ice cream desserts, such as her Pound Cake and Peaches Sundae, that bring back fond childhood memories to inspire families to take a step back and appreciate every moment.
“My mom would have ‘ice cream parties’ in her bedroom when my dad had to work the graveyard shift,” Lofaso said. “She would snuggle us in her bed and give us toasted pound cake with ice cream and fresh fruit. My dad would come home to find us all asleep in one bed with scattered bowls and spoons everywhere.”
Special family moments are even sweeter when the recipes are served with real, high-quality ingredients everyone can feel good about.
“On top of the great taste of Breyers Natural Vanilla, families can feel good about enjoying a scoop of Breyers,” said Lofaso, who partnered with Breyers to create these recipes. “The brand is now only using milk and cream from cows not treated with artificial growth hormones*, and sustainably farmed vanilla beans.”
Vanilla ice cream has always been a great foundation for family desserts and Breyers believes vanilla is anything but plain and boring. With four different varieties of vanilla to choose from, you’re sure to find a flavor that pairs perfectly with your favorite treats. Here’s what you need to know about each variety.
Natural: Its distinctive taste brings out the natural goodness of your favorite fresh fruit recipes, like classic apple pie a la mode or peach cobbler.
French: Inspired by the traditional French custard, it’s the perfect complement to delicious breakfast-style desserts, like French vanilla puff pancakes or a fruit salad parfait.
Homemade: Thick and smooth like it was just churned, Homemade Vanilla is the perfect pairing to your favorite homemade treats, such as ice cream sandwiches, pies and cakes.
Extra Creamy: Fresh cream and sweet vanilla come together to make your favorite frozen treats, such as sundaes and shakes, velvety smooth.
Here are three of Lofaso’s favorite new ice cream creations. Start sharing delicious moments together with your family with these recipes. For more recipe inspiration and nutritional information, visit www.Breyers.com/recipes.
*Suppliers of other ingredients such as cookies, candies and sauces may not be able to make this pledge. The FDA states that no significant difference has been shown between dairy derived from rBST-treated and non-rBST-treated cows. Find out more information about the Breyers pledge at www.breyers.com.
Toasted Almond and Vanilla Arancini
- 4 tablespoons mixed, chopped, toasted whole unsalted almonds and hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon toasted and crushed amoretti cookies
- 1/2 cup Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream (1/4 cup per scoop)
- Place ice cream on baking sheet in freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
- In bowl, mix nuts and amoretti cookies.
- Dredge frozen ice cream balls in nut/cookie mixture and refreeze 5 minutes before serving.
Tropical Ice Cream Sandwich
- 2 (1/4-inch-thick) slices fresh pineapple
- 1 cup Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream, lightly softened
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut shavings
- Grill pineapple slices over low to medium heat for 90 seconds per side. Allow to cool briefly.
- Sandwich softened ice cream between pineapple slices. Coat sides in toasted coconut. Slice in half and serve.
Pound Cake and Peaches Sundae
- 2 fresh summer peaches, diced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced basil
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices plain pound cake, toasted until golden
- 1 cup Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream (1/4 cup per scoop)
- In small bowl, mix peaches, sugar, lemon juice and basil.
- To make each sundae, place a slice of toasted pound cake on a plate, then top with a scoop of ice cream and cover generously with macerated peaches.