Cook Up a Hearty Pumpkin Stew
NOTE: Both fresh and canned plain, solid pack pumpkin are excellent nutritional choices, but avoid canned pumpkin pie mix which is high in sugar.
Spiced Pumpkin Stew
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin or curry powder
- 1 (15 oz) can pureed pumpkin (2 cups fresh may be substituted)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, no salt added, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can yellow corn kernels, no salt added, drained (1–1½ cups fresh or frozen may be substituted)
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plain, low-fat yogurt, optional
- In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium heat. Stir in peppers, onion, and garlic and sauté about 6 minutes until peppers and onion soften. Stir in cumin or curry powder and continue to cook 1–2 minutes.
- Pour in pumpkin, beans, corn, tomatoes, and broth. Add 1 teaspoon cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Divide stew among four bowls and garnish with cilantro and yogurt, if desired.