Attract Birds to Your Yard: Suggestions For Specific Plants and Trees to Add to Your Landscape
The Audubon Vermont website lets you search by zip code for suggestions of plants to use in your landscape to attract native birds. It’s easy to search by types of plants as well as by types of birds you’d like to see more of in your yard. Birds attracted are pictured next to a photo of each specific plant.
Here are some examples for our area:
Black Walnut trees may attract vireos, nuthatches, orioles, wood warblers, waxwings, and chickadees and titmice.
Black-eyed Susans may attract vireos, wrens, cardinals, grosbeaks, thrushes, wood warblers, and chickadees and titmice.
Other flowering plants, shrubs, vines, and trees to consider are Arborvitae, Canadian goldenrod, common milkweed, Eastern hemlock, Eastern red cedar, green-head and purple coneflower, highbush blueberry, New England aster, Northern red oak and red oak, pussy willow, sunflower, winterberry, yarrow, and many more. Go to www.audubon.org/native-plants/search?zipcode for more information.
AUDUBON VERMONT UPCOMING EVENTS
Learn more about birds in our area by attending some local events this spring. Here are some suggestions. For details, go to vt.audubon.org/events.
- Pride Hikes: Sucker Brook Hollow Trail - March 23, 2019, 9:30AM-1:30PM
- Sugar on Snow Party - March 23, 2019 - 11:00AM-4PM
- Sugar on Snow Party - March 24, 2019 - 11:00AM-4:00PM
- Bud-Break Bird Monitoring Walk - April 4, 2019 - 8:00AM-9:00AM
- Starry Night: Find Your Way - April 5, 2019 - 7:00PM-8:30PM
- Pride Hikes: Burlington's Intervale - April 20, 2019 - 9:30AM-1:30PM
- Migration Mystery: Spring Vacation Day Program - April 22, 2019 - 8:30AM-3:30PM
- Marvelous Mud: Spring Vacation Day Program - April 23, 2019 8:30AM-3:30PM
- Amazing Amphibians: Spring Vacation Day Program - April 24, 2019 8:30AM-3:30PM
- Bird Blowout: Spring Vacation Day Program- April 25, 2019 - 8:30AM-3:30PM
- Spring Migration Bird Monitoring Walk - May 4, 2019 - 7:30AM-9:30AM
- Forestry for the Birds: Working Woodlands Workshop - May 18, 2019 - 8:30AM-11:00AM
- Pride Hikes: Green Mountain Audubon Center - May 18, 2019 - 9:30AM-1:30PM
- An Evening Wildlife Photography Workshop - May 23, 2019 5:30PM-8:30PM
255 Sherman Hollow Road