3 Summer Cocktails Featuring Local Spirits
07/02/2015 02:16PM ● Published by Ryan Frisch
- 2 bottles Shelburne Vineyards Harvest Widow’s Revenge or other sweet red wine, chilled
- 1 12 oz can ginger ale
- ¼ cup Razzmatazz raspberry liqueur
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced into thin wedges
Combine wine, ginger ale, and raspberry liqueur in a large glass pitcher or bowl. Add fruit slices to float on top. Pour into large stemmed glasses garnished with additional fruit slices, or skewer fruit slices on toothpicks.
Makes 7 cups
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 cups Limoncello (lemon liqueur), chilled
- 3 cups club soda, chilled
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Mint leaves for garnish
Crush mint with the back of a wooden spoon. Combine lemon juice and sugar in a pitcher and stir until sugar dissolves. Add mint and fill pitcher with ice. Add Limoncello and club soda; stir. Garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves.
- 15 lemons
- 2 (750 ml) bottles Vermont Gold Vodka by Vermont Spirits
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 cups filtered tap or distilled water
Thoroughly wash and dry the lemons. Peel the lemons with care and avoid cutting into the bitter white pith. Mix the lemon peels with the alcohol in a large glass or porcelain container with a lid. Secure the lid and set aside at room temperature for a minimum of 10 days and a maximum of 40 days in a cool, shaded place.
Combine the sugar and water and bring to a gentle boil.
Boil over medium low heat for five to seven minutes and then set aside to cool.
Add the syrup to the lemon and alcohol mixture and age for another 10 to 40 days.
Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or coffee filter-lined sieve and pour into bottles.
Store in the freezer or refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp coarse sugar
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and frozen
- 1 cup Flag Hill Sparkling Vermont Cyder, chilled
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Additional Flag Hill Sparkling Vermont Cyder
- Watermelon wedges for garnish
Cut lime in half. Cut one half into wedges and rub on rims of 8 (6-oz) cocktail glasses; dip rims in coarse sugar to coat. Process frozen watermelon, 1 cup chilled Cyder, sugar, salt, and juice from remaining lime half in a blender until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared glasses; top off with additional Sparkling Cyder. Garnish with watermelon wedges and serve immediately.
Grapefruit MargaritasMakes 3-1/2 Cups
- 1 (6-ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate
- 2/3 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 2/3 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur
Combine ingredients in a blender with three cups of ice. Process until ice is finely crushed. Pour into a pitcher and serve immediately, or cover and freeze.